Feb 27 2012
This protein packed ice cream recipe is gluten free, lactose free… and delicious! No added sugar and low in fat. It is definitely one of my favorite ways to eat clean.
It tastes sweet and creamy like ice cream, but is full of vitamins and minerals like calcium, magnesium, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. When you add the Sunwarrior Super Greens you are also adding raw, organic probiotics to your dessert!
Each serving is packed full of about 19 grams of protein without protein powder, or up to 42 grams of protein when you add protein powder. This dessert is packed full of protein!
Ingredients (for 3 servings)
- 18 oz liquid pasteurized Egg Whites (approximately 2 cups)
- 12 oz unsweetened coconut milk (approximately 1.5 cups)
- 3 tsp Sunwarrior Super Greens
- 3 to 6 scoops of vanilla Protein Powder (optional – only if you want additional protein)
- 1 oz unsweetened cacao nibs (approximately .25 cup)
- 1 tsp pure mint extract (no sugar added)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp guar gum
- a couple of sprigs of fresh mint (optional – you may want to omit if you have little ones that dont want to see gourmet leaves in their ice cream)
- 1 packet of Stevia (optional – I don’t use it because I think the recipe is sweet enough)
1. Measure all ingredients and combine all ingredients into a blender.
Note: I use either this vanilla protein powder or vanilla egg white protein powder because it works best for me, but you could use any type that you like. I like this powder and egg white protein powder because they are both so low in sugar, completely lactose and gluten free and I like the taste. If you aren’t bothered by whey products, you could try a whey protein powder. If you do Shakeology, Body by Vi, Isagenix, or another shake you could also use that as well. Just keep in mind that different powders will affect the sugar and additional nutritional information.
Even if you use another protein powder, I still highly recommend adding the Sunwarrior Super Greens. The nutritional benefit of this raw food is amazing and the flavor of the Sunwarrior Super Greens add to the flavor of the mint ice cream.
2. You may need additional guar gum and xanthan gum, or you may need less. It all depends on the ingredients in your coconut milk and protein powder. If your protein powder or coconut milk already have xanthan gum or guar gum in them, you may not need to add as much. If they do not, you may need to add more. I know these two ingredients are a little hard to find, but if you leave the xanthan gum and guar gum out of the recipe, the texture won’t be like ice cream and you may be a little disappointed. These two are really the crucial ingredients to get the texture right. Keep adding the ingredients into the blender!
3. Once you have combined all the ingredients, blend on high until completely mixed together. You might have to pause the blender and use a spoon or spatula to mix in the sides, then turn it on again.
4. Turn on your ice cream maker and pour the mixture in.
Note: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you could also pour it into a zip lock freezer bag, then put that bag inside of another bag that is full of ice and salt. Shake it and massage it until it turns into what will seem like soft serve ice cream. The ice cream mixture should never touch or actually mix with the ice and salt in the other bag.
5. Once the ice cream maker has churned your protein packed mixture into ice cream, scoop it out and enjoy it guilt free! This is definitely my favorite way to eat egg whites!
Yum yum yum!
Nutritional Data Per Serving:
Calories from Fat: 49
Total Fat: 7 g
Total Carbohydrate: 8.5 g
Sugars: 2 g
Protein: 42 g (when you add the additional protein – without it the protein is ~19 g)
This recipe is a good source of probiotics, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Magnesium, and a VERY good source of protein.
Not a thing.
Looking for more ice cream recipes? Try my Banana Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Hunky Monkey Ice Cream Recipe!
xoxo ~ Cori
Did you like this post? Tell me in the comments!
Please share your thoughts and questions in the comments. Don’t be shy! Your comments may help to inspire another. Your questions may help someone else who has the exact same question, but is too shy to ask. I love hearing from you!